A Hipster (or Hippster, Hipstr, Hipsterette) is a sub-culture of young, recently settled urban middle class adults and older teenagers. The modern hipster is a composite of individuals with a certain bohemian life situation and lifestyle. A Hipster embraces and contributes to independent culture, and prides him/herself on this. Hipsters tend to be well educated in these areas as well as in graphic art, math or science.
A Hipster/Hipsterette is wearing things that don’t match together. It’s that “I can’t be bothered” look that actually takes some planning until you get into the habit. A good Hipster never admit being a hipster because hipsterism is considered too mainstream. And that’s one of the things a Hipster does not want to be: Mainstream.
What Hipsters do?
- Hipster Brunch: Drinking Café Latte and starring at people
- vintage store shopping
How to recognize a Hipster?
- big, oval glasses (sometimes even just glass without strength..) or versized plastic framed glasses, Buddy Holly glasses, nerd glasses
- trendy shoes like Classic Reeboks, Converse
- a beard or moustache
- too tight Jeans with rolled cuff (Hipster men tend to be as skinny as the women)
- ironic tees, plaid shirts, cowboy shirts, and anything in gingham, plaid, checkers, paisley, vintage floralss
- in chilly nights: Fitted hoodies
- neon nail polish, pins, bright belts, bird necklaces
- they date other hipsters
- typing on an iPhone or Macbook
What do you need to be a Hipster or Hipsterette?
Have a look in our Shop: